Alba Martijn studied law at the University of the Netherlands Antilles (1982) and began her career in January 1983 as a Legal Advisor of the Island Territory of Curacao. She studied with success Post Graduate studies in Management at the NTL- Institute in California and Good Governance at CURISES in Curacao.
She obtained several certificates in the field of corporate-, international- and labor law, management skills, investigative techniques, leadership training, communication and computer skills.
- 1983 -1988 – legal advisor of the Island Territory of Curaçao
- She took the oath as lawyer in 1984 and represented the governments of the Island Territory of Curacao and the government of the former Netherlands Antilles till 1996.
1988 – 1992 she was appointed acting Director of General and Personnel Affairs of the Netherlands Antilles.
- 1992 – 1998 she was appointed Director of Personnel Affairs of the Netherlands Antilles.
- 1998 – 2002 she worked as the Senior Legal Advisor of the Minister of Justice (Raadsadviseur)
- In 2000 she was appointed Monitor of the prison after receiving a special training to act in this capacity.
- 2000 representative of the Government of the Netherlands Antilles in the United Nations /Geneva, where she presented the efforts of the government to redress the situation in the prison to the Committee against Torture.
- 2002 – 2004 Senior Legal Advisor at ABN AMRO Trust Curaçao
- 2004 – 2009 acting Ombudsman of Curaçao.
- 2009 – 2015 Ombudsman of Curacao.
- 2015 – 2017 President of Princess Wilhelmina Fonds Foundation
- 2017 till present Main advisor of the Minister of Health, Environment and Nature of Curacao
Guest lecturer International Relations and Human Rights for the Venezuelan Professional Skills Development center (CEDEHAPRO) in Caracas and Curacao 2012 – 12016
She also regularly presented lectures regarding the position of the Ombudsman during international conferences for ombudsman in Curaçao, Sint Maarten, Mexico City/Mexico, Calí/Colombia, Buenos Aires/Argentina and Turin/Italy.
PAST EXECUTIVE POSITIONS
- Executive Secretary of the Supervisory Board of the Organization for the funding of poverty projects – AMFO 2007 – 2014
- President of the Council of the Caribbean Ombudsman Association 2013 – 2015
- President of the CAROA Administration Foundation 2014 – 2015.
- Executive Secretary 2015 of the Board of Rotary Club Curacao 2014 – 2015
- President of the Princess Wilhelmina Fund Foundation 2015 – 2018
CURRENT EXECUTIVE POSITION
Since 2015 Director for the region of the Caribbean for the Institute of Latin-American Ombudsman
Top advisor for the Minister of Health, /Environment and Nature of Curacao since August 2017
International relations of the Office of the Ombudsman of Curacao during her tenure
- In 2011 the Office of the Ombudsman signed a cooperation agreement with the office of the Ombudsman of Santa Fe, Argentina
- In 2011 the Office of the Ombudsman signed a cooperation agreement with the Institute of Latin-American Ombudsman
- In 2012 the Office of the Ombudsman became observer of the Federation of Iber-American Ombudsman.
- In 2012 the Office of the Ombudsman signed a cooperation agreement with the National Human Rights committee of Mexico
- In 2013 the Office of the Ombudsman became voting member of the International Ombudsman Institute.
REGIONAL AND INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCES FOR OMBUDSMAN ORGANIZED IN CURAÇAO
The Office of the Ombudsman of Curacao organized in:
2010 the sixth regional conference of the Caribbean Ombudsman Institute in Curaçao.
2011, 2012 and 2013, 2014 and 2015 five international Ombudsman Conferences in Curaçao in cooperation with the Caribbean International University and the Instituto Latino Americano de Ombudsman – with participants from the United States, Canada, Europe, the Caribbean, South America, Middle America and Africa.
In May 2015 the eight-regional conference of the Caribbean Ombudsman Association was organized by Office of the Ombudsman of Curaçao.
In May 2015 the CAROA/IOI anti-corruption training course for the Caribbean Region.