Reinier van Zutphen studied at the Erasmus University Rotterdam, Erasmus Law School from 1978 to 1985. From 1986 on he followed a six year training at the Dutch Training and Study Centre for the Judiciary and became a judge in 1992.
Reinier van Zutphen has extensive experience as a judge in several courts in the Netherlands (Utrecht, The Hague, Alkmaar and Almelo). And has also fulfilled several posts in an international context (Curacao and Luxemburg). He was also chairman of the Dutch Association for the Judiciary. Since 2012 he was president of the Administrative High Court for Trade and Industry.
- Teacher Training and Study Centre for the Judiciary (since April 1, 2005)
- President (previously member) Supervisory Board Legal Aid offices (since 5 July 2012)
- Ambassador Foundation for Refugee Students UAF (since November 1, 2013)
- President (previously member) Supervisory Board and key expert for the Center for International Legal Cooperation (President since December 20, 2013)
- Board member Kirchheiner Foundation Ombudsman and Democracy (since April 1, 2015)
- Member Advisory Board Netherlands Institute for Human Rights (since April 1, 2015)
- Chairman of the Association for the right of petition and complaint (since April 13, 2016)
- Board member of the European Region of the International Ombudsman Institute (since
September 8, 2016)
- Chairman of the Supervisory Board of the StAB (foundation advising courts in
environmental law and spatial planning disputes) (since 2 October 2017)